dubai-night

Interesting Facts about Dubai

Dubai has been one of the most exciting and volatile economic stories of the 21st century. It’s global, glitzy, and growing like crazy.

Dubai is one city that continues to surprise for building things that are either the first, the biggest or the most expensive.There seems to be a never-ending development of innovative and over-the-top projects. However beneath it all there are some other lesser known things about the city that are equally amazing.

  • In 1990 there was only 1 skyscraper in the entire city. Today there are over 400 of them.
  • One out of every 5 cranes on Earth is located in Dubai. Dubai’s real estate is growing so fast, that around 20% of all cranes on Earth are located in Dubai.
  • Dubai’s artificial Palm Islands imported enough sand to fill 2.5 Empire State Buildings. The construction of Dubai’s Palm Islands required 94 million cubic meters of sand. The Empire State Building required 37 million cubic meters.
  • Sales of oil constitute only 6% of Dubai’s economy. Real estate and tourism are the economy’s main drivers.
  • The Burj Al Arab uses enough gold inside to cover 46,265 Mona Lisa paintings. The interior of the Burj Al Arab is decorated with approximately 1,790 square meters of 24-carat gold leaf. The surface area of the Mona Lisa is 0.3869 square meters.
  • Approximately 85% of the population is foreign. It is estimated that “10 to 15 percent of Dubai’s population” are Emiratis, while the other 85% are expatriates. The majority come from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh in order to work in the still-booming real estate market.
  • In Dubai robots take part in multimillion dollar camel racing tournaments. Camel racing is an industry that is estimated to be worth “hundreds of millions of dollars”, although there is no exact number.
  • The Burj Khalifa is so tall that some of its residents need to wait longer to break fast during Ramadan. The Burj Khalifa is approximately half a mile tall and has 160 residential floors. Those who live on the 150th floor and higher live so high up that they see the sun longer than other inhabitants of Dubai.
  • Dubai is building a climate controlled “city” 2.25 times as big as Monaco. Dubai is planning to build a climate controlled “city”, which is slated to be 4.45 km2 with air-conditioned boardwalks connecting the various sections of the vacation spot together.
  • The Burj Khalifa can apparently be seen from around 90 kilometers away. So theoretically if the Burj Khalifa was in Jeddah, you would still see it from Makkah if the visibility was good that day.

Enjoy flights and hotel packages from as low as N109,000 during the 20th anniversary of the Dubai Shopping Festival.

Click here to book now for this amazing deal.