Sitting around the house and not knowing what to do is not only unproductive, it’s boring! The best way to get rid of boredom is to do something you’ve been putting off or to challenge yourself to do something you have never done before. Ultimately, there are plenty of things you can do when you’re bored. They could be weird, productive, creative or just fun!
Here are 30 things you can get busy with when you are bored.
1. Write a short story. Think of a plot, the characters and then go with the flow. Your story might just turn out the next best seller. You can also write an essay on the most boring day of your life.
2. Listen to music. Music is both therapeutic and relaxing. It can uplift your spirit like nothing else can.
3. Watch TV. It’s good to do so once in a while, even if it’s just to catch up on shows you’ve missed out on. If you have a nice movie collection, watch an old favorite film again while munching on your favorite snack.
4. Read a newspaper. It would not only help you pass your time but also increase your awareness on the latest trend happening around the world.
5. Cook. Use the spare time on your hands to prepare your favorite meal. You can also create a new recipe. Whether you’re into cooking or not, try experimenting with different ingredients and explore the chef in you!
6. Exercise: Even if you don’t feel like exercising, doing a few jumping jacks and stretching exercises will increase your metabolism rate and ultimately elevate your mood.
7. Groom your pet. Play, feed and spend time with him/her.
8. Read a book. If you don’t have a good one you can always get a book right now with digital downloads. The Kindle Reader is a great idea if you don’t already have one. You can also read interesting stories from Nigerian authors at Okadabooks.
9. Play games. Candy crush, crossword puzzle and other digital games are a good workout for the brain. They give you the opportunity to have fun and relax at the same time.
10. Have a bubble bath/aroma therapy bath. It’s a fun way to rejuvenate and relax.
11. Call and speak to your long distance friend or family.
12. Surf the net and stay updated. Check your e-mail or search for information about different countries and cultures. You can also browse the Wikipedia for great information. They have a random article button.
13. Clean up your house. Remember that huge cleaning session you’ve been thinking about for months but never finding the time to do? Now is the perfect time.
14. Organize a picnic. This holiday is the best opportunity to hang out with a few friends and have a picnic in your backyard. You can also plan the ultimate barbecue!
15. Create a bucket list. Make a list of things you want to do within a specific time frame. Cut out clear strategies on how you intend to achieve them.
16. Upgrade your CV. No matter how updated your CV is, there is a lot you can do to your CV to make it look more appealing.
17. Be accountable. Go through your expense list, review it and plan the budget for the new month.
18. Do your laundry. When was the last time you washed your clothes yourself? Explore your wardrobe and sort out dirty clothes you can wash.
19. Make a craft. Work with any material you can find in your closet and create something useful.
20. Take pictures. Make up your own little sets and work the lights in the house. Your phone camera can create nice shots you know.
21. Reminisce. Look through old family album, high school photo book and enjoy the nostalgia.
22. Learn a new skill. It could be anything from pottery to sound/video editing. All of the learning stuff can be done online.
23. Create a healthy food plan. Ttry making something healthy to drink. Make a smoothie or a fresh, homemade fruit juice.
24. Do some baking. Bake a cake, some cookies or anything else that you enjoy eating and would love to share with your family/friends.
25. Learn a new language. Learning a few words every day can help a lot. Look for the best online classes.
26. Chat with friends on social media. Chatting online is a cheap way of talking your heart out to a friend, especially one who is far away from you.
27. Make a list of things you need to buy at the grocery store. A list saves time, money and energy while shopping.
28. Dance! Play your favorite upbeat songs and practice all the moves you’ve always wished you knew. Dance, practice till you are satisfied with those moves.
29. Shop online. With so many e-commerce stores like MarketHub and its likes, you can spend quality time online looking at the finest items on your shopping list.
30. Still bored? Sleep!