(2 mins Read)
Hurricane fashion is coming. Keep calm, this is not the type of hurricane that causes destruction (except perhaps to break down mediocre fashion patterns and style stereotypes). This is an unparalleled fashion experience blazing on the trail of its amazing debut; it is the sophomore edition of the GTBank Fashion Weekend taking place on November 11 and 12, 2017 at the Landmark Centre. This annual event is slated to be a celebration of Africa’s finest. Here’s why you need to be there:
1. The Debut edition was incredible: The 2016 debut of the consumer-focused event received very positive reviews nationally and internationally. Attracting over 30,000 guests over the 2-day period, the event featured a series of master classes, runway shows and a curated retail exhibition – creating the biggest, most thrilling exposé of African fashion to take place on the continent till date. The retail exhibition gave the over 90 Small Businesses that participated the opportunity to exhibit, sell and connect with consumers, as well as discover new markets.
2. Miss J will be present: Yup, Jay Alexander, the same Miss J who has been the runway coach of America’s Next Top Model and also coached fashion legends like Naomi Campbell and Kimora Lee Simons will be there to give a Master Class drawing from his rich experience and expertise. Miss J is not the only style authority present, others include Editor in-Chief of Essence Magazine, Vanessa De Luca; Kenyan-born Vanessa Kingori, publisher of British GQ Magazine – the famed gentleman’s fashion and style magazine; multi-talented Nigerian photographer TY Bello; professional Makeup Artist and Educator, Danessa Myricks; and Fashion Editor & Style Consultant, Shiona Turini.
3. Networking with Africa’s Finest: The GTBank fashion weekend will bring together all the main fashion players both on the local and international scene under the same roof: designers, bloggers, stylists, retailers, consultants, models and fashion entrepreneurs of all kinds. You’ll have the opportunity to learn new trends and innovations in the industry and make new connections from the master classes and from interacting with other style enthusiasts.
4. Shopping galore: Over 90 Small fashion retail stores will be present at this year’s event, and they will be selling outfits and accessories for every size, gender, and age. This will be a great opportunity to shop for your Christmas clothes or buy something stylish for a loved one.
5. Africa’s Finest Runway show: The runway show is bound to be exceptional as fashion god, Julien Mcdonald, and other fashion deities are slated to show the best of this season. They will be showcasing pieces from their collection and highlighting the best of Africa. Here’s a throwback to Julian’s runway at last year’s event