You’ve had breakfast today, and lunch, and are looking forward to dinner… it doesn’t make you a foodie yet; that’s pretty much everybody! But while at lunch, were you spoilt for choice when they showed you the menu? Do you always take a bit of everything at buffets? Now that’s not everybody. So, you’re getting there. Do you have cherished spots to where you would travel long distances just because of their food or beverages? Are you always seeking such places out, not because you’re hungry, but just for new food experiences? Voila! Here you are: you’re a foodie. And it is a beautiful thing to be.
Food is one of life’s greatest pleasures. From cupcakes to thick crusted pizzas, sushi to pounded yam and vegetable soup, zobo to hot chocolate… there are varieties upon varieties of food that make our lives so much more satisfying. All foodies, epicures, culinarians, and overly enthusiastic omnivores are bound by their love for food. They long for the taste, aesthetics, smell, and that deep, primal feeling in the soul that can ONLY be satiated by a generous serving of a meal of choice.
What other things are hallmarks of the foodie life?
- In the middle of your current meal, you are thinking of what your next meal will be: That deep, reflective look you see on the face of a foodie in the middle of their lunch is likely not about the current economic situation or how deflated they feel about their football club getting trashed back to back; that look is likely food-inspired. In the middle of a meal, you are likely thinking about your next meal, and the one after that, and the one after that one, and the one…. Okay, you get the drill.
- The aroma of food is your favourite smell in the world: Nothing compares to the smell of your kitchen in the middle of meal preparation……..or the one coming from your neighbour’s kitchen window. Ever wondered why your neighbours bolt their doors whenever they want to cook and you are around? Or why some have resorted to cooking by 3am when they’re sure you are fast asleep and snoring? Sometimes the answers are in the question. Tsk tsk!
- You love buffets: That wedding that happened in 1998, you can’t really remember the people who got married; you’ve forgotten the venue of the wedding too, but that buffet is forever stamped on your memory. A memory so good that you forgive the three hours you spent on the queue to get the food. The end more than justified the means.
- There is love in sharing: You can share your clothes, your laptop, your house, but you don’t understand why your mother’s children hover around when you cook your favorite meal. Your wardrobe is always under lock and key, not because you have millions stashed in there, but because your most prized possessions are in there: your food.
- Food fairs are your favorite time of the year: It’s like Christmas after Christmas. Food and drinks everywhere you turn. The smell of fried rice in the air. The glowing embers roasting the barbecue. Variety upon variety of food. Orishirishi. The sounds of laughter that come from deep inside the stomachs of well-fed people. That’s why you can’t wait for the GTBank Food and Drink Fair.
It’s alright, there are many like you. Food is a great unifier. People from all walks of life will crisscross countries and cities on their way to No 1 Water Corporation Drive, Oniru, Victoria Island, Lagos with Food at the center of their tourism. Food, in all its many, irresistible forms, takes center stage at the aforementioned address on the 30th of April and 1st of May, 2017. Dear Foodie, this one’s for you!