Fashion has become a major reason why people travel. Every year, fashion weeks/weekends and exhibitions around the world draw the style conscious from different nations all united in their quest for amazing style ideas and unforgettable fashion experiences.
In this piece, we take you through some of the destinations where these global style hunters find the best fashion game, and where you have to, for the love of fashion, visit at least once in your lifetime.
1. New York: New York is the world’s culture hub in every way, but when it comes to fashion, every city the world over follows New York and it ranks as the number 1 fashion destination in the world for 2017 according to the Global Language Monitor . New York is home to a number of the top 50 fashion schools in the world and also to designers like Ralph Lauren, Jason Wu, Marc Jacobs, and Tom Ford amongst others. New York is also home to one of the biggest fashion events in the world, the New York Fashion Week. Held in February and September each year, the show attracts the biggest names in fashion—from yesterday to today. The event has been going strong since 1943, making it the very first fashion show of its kind.
2. Paris: Paris’s legacy in high fashion is unarguable. It has some of the best fashion schools in the world and the city’s fashion week is a fashion mecca for the style conscious, drawing fashion royalty from around the world. The city’s legends include Louis Vuitton, Dior, Givenchy, Saint Laurent, Hermes, Lanvin, Balenciaga and Balmain, while avant-garde icons like Raf Simons, Rick Owens and Junya Watanabe showcase their collections in the French capital, too. Besides this, the world’s best-selling fashion magazine (Elle) launched in Paris in 1945 and still has headquarters there, along with 44 editions around the world.
3. Barcelona: Barcelona was number ten on the list last year but has leaped to number 3, for good reason, it is one of the largest producers of textiles (after Germany and Italy), and many of the world’s top fashion houses and companies started here. Cristobal Balenciaga, Massimo Dutti (more than 720 stores in 70 countries worldwide), Mango (107 countries, 2,500 stores worldwide) and Tous (400 stores in 45 countries) are just a few. It is also home to some renowned fashion schools and the Barcelona Fashion Week.
4. Milan: Milan is renowned for the heritage of its luxury houses – Gucci, Fendi, Prada, Moschino, Versace, Missoni and the like are fashion legends and still inspire legions of designers and brands to this day. Hip-hop’s love of Italian affluence – particularly Gucci and Versace – means the city still rules in the street wear front, albeit subtly. Every year the designers of Milan and beyond come together for Milan Fashion Week during the months of February and March for the Spring-Summer Collection, and September and October for the Fall-Winter Collection.
5. London: The UK has produced some of the most extraordinary fashion designers in the world. Alexander McQueen, Mary Quant, John Galliano, Stella McCartney, Vivienne Westwood, Hussein Chalayan, and Christopher Kane are just a few. Next, London is home to so many top fashion schools, you’ll lose count. The most prestigious, and often considered the best in the world, is Central Saint Martins, from which some of the biggest designers in the world have graduated from. Finally, yet another grand fashion show, one of the top four in the world, is London Fashion Week. Also held in February and September each year, the show attracts the world’s largest fashion houses.
6. Lagos: This year, Lagos made its debut appearance on the Global Language Monitor list of fashion capitals of the world. This debut is due in part to the major fashion events that happen in Nigeria’s commercial hub, the biggest being the GTBank Fashion Weekend which had its stunning sophomore edition on the 11th and 12th of November, 2017. With over 500 ethnic groups, Nigeria has a large variety of fabrics, styles, and accessories all well utilised by its local designers and quickly gaining international recognition as Africa’s finest fashion destination.
There are many other fashion capitals in the world including Los Angeles, Berlin, Dakar, and Tokyo. Where is your fashion heart leading you to?